Re: Help me recovering data

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
Cc: "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help me recovering data
Date: 2005-02-18 15:14:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 17 February 2005 07:47, pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com wrote:
> > Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> >> We do ~4000 txn/minute so in 6 month you are screewd up...
> >
> > Sure, but if you ran without vacuuming for 6 months, wouldn't you notice
> > the
> > huge slowdowns from all those dead tuples before that?
>
> I would think that only applies to databases where UPDATE and DELETE are
> done often. What about databases that are 99.999% inserts? A DBA lightly
> going over the docs may not even know that vacuum needs to be run.

Yup... I don't vacuum a least a 100 of the tables in my schema cause they are
continuous insert with big deletions once every 6 months or so. Generally
speaking it isn't worth the performance hit to vacuum these big tables
regularly, so I only do it when I have to.... like every six months when wrap
around gets close.

--
Robert Treat