client machine requirements

From: ブライアン <brian(at)ssl(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: client machine requirements
Date: 2005-02-15 11:18:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have successfully set up and accessed a Postgre DB running on a remote server.

I want to access the remote server via perl from my client machine.

Without installing full Postgre Package on the Unix client machine
I tried installing the perl module DBD::Pg

This led to various install errors such as

Pg.h:17:22: libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory
Pg.h:39:67: DBIXS.h: No such file or directory

I know that these errors are occuring because I have not installed the Postgre package
on the client machine but I can nowhere find a Postgre Client Software installation
package for UNIX.

Do I have to install the full package (Postgre Server software as well) to access
the remote Postgre server from my client's machine perl program?

My boss is breathing down my neck saying "that cannot be right" but I have not been able
to discover another way.

Thanks in advance

brian sweeney