BUG #1478: Upper function does not work

From: "Tiago Magalhes Vieira" <tiago(dot)vieira(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1478: Upper function does not work
Date: 2005-02-11 20:40:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1478
Logged by: Tiago Magalhes Vieira
Email address: tiago(dot)vieira(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0-rc5
Operating system: Windows XP
Details:

I have been experiencing some problems with the uppercase function, when the
function has to make simple chars like 'c','a' etc it returns them in
uppercase, but when it has to handle chars like '', '', '' it does not
do so.

For example I have a field named 'med_type' in the table 'test' and one of
this data in the field 'med_type' is 'Nutrio'. Then I make the query:

SELECT upper(med_type) FROM test;

It returns:

'NUTRIO'

Even changed de characters enconding from UNICODE to ASCII and the problem
still happens.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.