BUG #1477: DROP TABLE does not recover

From: "Marcel Claus" <marcel(dot)claus(at)offis(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1477: DROP TABLE does not recover
Date: 2005-02-11 15:53:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1477
Logged by: Marcel Claus
Email address: marcel(dot)claus(at)offis(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.0
Operating system: Windows 2003 Server / Windows XP
Details:

Hi,

I have found the following problem and I can reproduce it any time using
psql.exe or the C#-API-Calls.

The problem:
I create a table with a primary key, using for example the statement:

create table test2 (
a varchar(10),
b varchar(3),
c numeric(8,4),
constraint key_test2 primary key (a)
);

When I now try to drop this table with

DROP TABLE test2;

the table will be droppped but I dont get an ackknowledge or some other
response, so the calling program or method waits forever for an answer.
In the filesystem the files of the table (the files with the numbers (OID)
as names) still exist. They are not deleted. I think they should have been
deleted too.

It seems to be a problem with the index, because when I create the table
without the index:

create table test2 (
a varchar(10),
b varchar(3),
c numeric(8,4)
);

the "DROP TABLE test2;" works fine.

I also tried this one:

create table test2 (
a varchar(10),
b varchar(3),
c numeric(8,4),
constraint key_test2 primary key (a)
);
alter table test2 drop constraint key_test2;

This also leeds to a waiting command prompt and the calling application
doesnt recover.
When I shut down the calling application (with the Task-Manager) after
waiting for 5 seconds the table is dropped.

Thank you for your held.

Regards,
Marcel Claus