Questions about functionality

From: "Ignacio Colmenero" <ignacio(dot)colmenero(at)micotan(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Questions about functionality
Date: 2005-02-04 16:06:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello.

I have been in this list for a very short period of time so, if my questions
have been answered before, please tell me and I will browse again in the
archives.

1. Is there anything in Postgre or third-party solutions similar to Oracle's
SQL Loader, to upload a flat file into a table, according to certain rules?
Any solutions you have tried before to solve this issue?

2. What are the nuts and bolts to run a SQL script from a batch file? I have
browsed the documentation and I haven't seen anything clear.

3. Can I store more than one polygon in a polygon datatype field, like
((x1,y1),(x2,y2),.),((x10,y10),(x11,y11),.) or I have to install PostGIS?

4. Can I query an object in another database, like in Oracle's dblink?

As you may guess, Oracle Databases have been my bread and butter for the
last 5 years, but now I am dealing with Postgre, and I think it is great!!!!
Sorry if my questions are kind of newbie.

Ignacio.

Ignacio Colmenero

Software Development

Micotan Software Company Ltd.