Re: pg_dump in 7.2.4 with trigger functions

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump in 7.2.4 with trigger functions
Date: 2005-01-31 17:20:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:45:16 -0700,
Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu> wrote:
> Steve Wampler wrote:
> >
> >I realize 7.2.4 is long in the tooth, but it's an old system that's been
> >running for several years now. Someday we'll upgrade...

There are more recent releases even within the 7.2.x series. I believe there
will be a new one announced today or tomorrow.

> >However, part of the upgrade will involve dumping and restoring the
> >tables. I've just did a little playing with pg_dump on one of
> >the databases and discovered that I can't restore it! Is this
> >a known problem? If so, is there a workaround? Is this operator
> >error? If so, can someone point me to what I did wrong?

When you do you upgrade, if possible you should use a pg_dump{all} client
from the new version rather than the old version. Newer versions of
pg_dump handle dependencies better.