BUG #1452: psql and other programs don't offer a password prompt, so I can't login to databases

From: "Jonathan Chen" <chenjh(at)uci(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1452: psql and other programs don't offer a password prompt, so I can't login to databases
Date: 2005-01-31 03:27:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1452
Logged by: Jonathan Chen
Email address: chenjh(at)uci(dot)edu
PostgreSQL version: 8.0
Operating system: Windows Server 2003
so I can't login to databases
Details:

When I run psql or other programs (e.g. pg_dump), it never even gives me a
password prompt, so of course I get the following error message:

psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "CDBUSER"

I've tried running with the "-W" option, but doesn't seem to make a
difference. Complete command-line:

psql -U CDBUSER -W cdbtest