Re: Data statement format used by the .sh scripts

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: noman naeem <doublevision_17(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data statement format used by the .sh scripts
Date: 2005-01-27 00:10:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:58:08AM -0800, noman naeem wrote:

Hi,

> Can some one explain me the under mentioned Data
> statement format including the insert
> parameters....which is excessively used in
> pg_attribute.h ,pg_class.h,pg_proc.h and at many more
> places.....
>
> DATA(insert ( 1255 prosrc 26 -1 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 f x
> i f f f t 0));

This says to insert into the previously opened relation a new tuple,
whose attribute values are enumerated in the line. Frankly I don't see
what's so strange about it? If you add a column to the table, you have
to add a corresponding value, in the correct position, to all these
lines (where applicable, i.e. only when the table you added is open.)

If there are a lot of them (depending on which table you modified),
probably the easiest is to use the sed utility or something similar.

"I would rather have GNU than GNOT." (ccchips, lwn.net/Articles/37595/)