Re: PgPool changes WAS: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Peter Darley" <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com>, Ragnar Hafstað <gnari(at)simnet(dot)is>, "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: PgPool changes WAS: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL
Date: 2005-01-25 16:58:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

Peter, Ragnar,

> > Are there ones that you use which might use several different connections
> > to send a series of queries from a single web-user, less than 5 seconds
> > apart?
>
> Using Apache/Perl I often have a situation where we're sending several
> queries from the same user (web client) within seconds, or even
> simultaneously, that use different connections.

So from the sound of it, the connection methods I've been using are the
exception rather than the rule. Darn, it worked well for us. :-(

What this would point to is NOT being able to use Slony-I for database server
pooling for most web applications. Yes? Users should look to pgCluster and
C-JDBC instead.

BTW, Tatsuo, what's the code relationship between pgPool and pgCluster, if
any?

--Josh

--
Josh Berkus