Re: Concurrent free-lock

From: "Min Xu (Hsu)" <xu(at)cs(dot)wisc(dot)edu>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>, Pailloncy Jean-Gerard <jg(at)rilk(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concurrent free-lock
Date: 2005-01-25 04:43:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 Neil Conway wrote :
> Amazingly, there *are* lock-free hash table
> algorithms (e.g. [1]), but at first glance they seem pretty complex, and

It is a little scary when I read the lock-free hash table algorithm
needs a theorem prover to prove its correctness. I'd guess maintaining
such code is hard.

> I'm not sure how much they would help (we'd still need some form of
> synchronization to protect access to buffer flags etc.) I think the
> better route to fixing this problem is just rethinking how we do locking
> in the bufmgr.

I completely agree. Ultimately, if a piece of code has "true" contention,
i.e. the contention was not due to coarse-grain locking, then perhaps
redesigning the algorithm is a better solution. I certainly have no
idea what is the code of the bufmgr looks like. May the problem here
be coarse-grain locking?