Re: How are foreign key constraints built?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>, Postgresql-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How are foreign key constraints built?
Date: 2005-01-23 21:45:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 03:19:10PM -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> > People have this weird notion that an index-based plan is always faster
> > than anything else. If you like you can try the operation with "set
> > enable_seqscan = off", but I bet it will take longer.
>
> Well, every other database I've used can do index covering, which means
> index scans *are* faster.

... on those database systems. Indexes are different in Postgres in
general: they don't have visibility info (other systems don't need it,
tuples are always visible), and in some databases you have clustered
indexes, where the index is also the heap.

"We are who we choose to be", sang the goldfinch
when the sun is high (Sandman)