Re: Extending System Views: proposal for 8.1/8.2

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Extending System Views: proposal for 8.1/8.2
Date: 2005-01-23 20:32:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I may be missing something here, but haven't we always stated that
using 'SELECT *' should be frown'd upon for the most part? Is there a
reason why adding a column/field to an existing view should be considered
a bad thing?

As long as we don't remove existing colums that an app could be using, but
only adding a column, there shouldn't be any issues with backwards
compatibility, shoudl there?

----