Re: Windows 2000 Slower Than Windows XP

From: Joe Audette <joe_audette(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Slower Than Windows XP
Date: 2005-01-23 03:47:09
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Sounds like it could be a networking issue to me.
Perhaps the xp machine is resolving the db server name
more efficiently.
do both the xp machine and the win2k machine
1 have comparable network cards?
2 on the same subnet as each other and the db?
3 using the same dns or wins server?

you could try putting an entry in the hosts file on
the slow machine to resolve the name of the db machine
and see if that helps.

I'm no expert on Postgre SQL so maybe there is a
driver difference or something that others on the list
would know better.

Hope that helps,

Joe

--- Quinton Lawson <qlawson(at)adelphia(dot)net> wrote:

> I have been having quite a time trying to figure
> this one out. I have installed PostgreSQL OLE DB
> drivers (ver 1.0.0.15) on two separate machines.
> The only difference between the two machines is the
> OS, 2000 Pro (SP4) and XP Pro (SP2) and both are
> fully updated from fresh installs. The PostgreSQL
> 8.0 server is running on another Windows XP Pro
> machine (SP2, fully updated).
>
> I am performing a Select query like this:
> SELECT column1, column2, column3 FROM table1 WHERE
> column4 = 'value1' AND column5 ='value2' ORDER BY
> column1, column2;
>
> Connection String:
> Provider=PostgreSQL.1;Password="";User
> ID=client1;Data Source=server;Location=Media
> Database;Extended Properties=""
>
> The results take approximately 2 seconds on the XP
> machine and 8 seconds on the 2000 machine.
>
> Explain Analyze yields nearly identical times (45ms)
> between the two.
>
> Any ideas why this is occuring?
>
> Thank You,
> qlawson