Re: A Question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: jsona laio <freeonfair(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A Question
Date: 2005-01-22 04:59:03
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:57:13PM +0000, jsona laio wrote:

> My question is "May I translate postgresql to my native language?."
> For I do not see any message about this in FAQ or mailinglist (Perhaps
> there's but I didn't see it.) If I can, how or what steps I need to do
> to help translate mannual of postgresql to the langauge of mine?

You certainly can try. Whether a one-man effort is going to succeed
is completely up to you. The french translation is a group effort and
AFAIK they are not yet finished (and it appears that it is stalled);
in contrast, the german translation is a one-man effort and it was
finished in three months.

I suggest you take a look at how the french guys are doing it. The
website about it (in french) is http://traduc.postgresqlfr.org.

A different question is whether you can translate Postgres itself. See
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/nlsinfo/

"La conclusión que podemos sacar de esos estudios es que
no podemos sacar ninguna conclusión de ellos" (Tanenbaum)