Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Bruno Almeida do Lago" <teolupus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Mitch Pirtle'" <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Date: 2005-01-21 01:25:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bruno,

> Which brings up another question: why not just cluster at the hardware
> layer? Get an external fiberchannel array, and cluster a bunch of dual
> Opterons, all sharing that storage. In that sense you would be getting
> one big PostgreSQL 'image' running across all of the servers.
>
> Or is that idea too 90's? ;-)

No, it just doesn't work. Multiple postmasters can't share one database.

LinuxLabs (as I've gathered) tried to go one better by using a tool that
allows shared memory to bridge multple networked servers -- in other words,
one postmaster controlling 4 or 5 servers. The problem is that IPC via this
method is about 1,000 times slower than IPC on a single machine, wiping out
all of the scalability gains from having the cluster in the first place.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions