Re: ARC patent

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-01-19 00:10:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:48:00AM +1100, Neil Conway wrote:
> > I have already
> > suggested to core that we should insist on 8.1 not requiring an initdb,
> > so as to ensure that people will migrate up to it easily from 8.0.
>
> So is it firm policy that changes that require a catversion update
> cannot be made during the 8.1 cycle?

Hmm. That means my shared dependency patch cannot go in, nor anything
I do about shared row locking. Fortunately that leaves the multitable
truncate and the C "install" replacement free to be applied.

You liked Linux a lot when he was just the gawky kid from down the block
mowing your lawn or shoveling the snow. But now that he wants to date
your daughter, you're not so sure he measures up. (Larry Greenemeier)