Re: Problem getting sql statement logging to work

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: David Klugmann <dklugmann(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem getting sql statement logging to work
Date: 2005-01-18 16:51:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 03:05:34PM +0000, David Klugmann wrote:

> I have the following entries in my postgresql.conf file yet it doesn't seem
> to log anything.

Did you restart the backend after modifying postgresql.conf?

> syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'

Have you configured /etc/syslog.conf to send local0 messages anywhere?
You might need to add an appropriate line to /etc/syslog.conf, touch
the desired log file if it doesn't already exist, and send a HUP
signal to syslogd.

You can test your syslog configuration with the "logger" program.
I think log_statement sends messages to the LOG_INFO syslog level,
so run the following command from the shell prompt and see if the
message gets logged:

logger -p local0.info "test 1 to local0.info"

Verify that your syslog configuration is working, make sure you've
restarted the PostgreSQL backend so it knows about the configuration
changes, and try again.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/