Re: US Patents vs Non-US software ...

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: US Patents vs Non-US software ...
Date: 2005-01-18 15:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:22:58AM +0200, Nicolai Tufar wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Patents do not transcend international border. They need
> to be applied for in each country separately.
>
> To ease the process of applying for patents in many countries
> at once Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) was formed. When you

It's also true that many countried have bilateral treatings
respecting the "intellectual property" in the other country. Canada
has such with the US, as far as I know, so that it is possible to
request injunctive relief in Canada for violation of a patent which is
grated by the USPTO. The relief is limited, however, and requires
certain hoop-jumping which is sort of tiresome. Unless, of course,
you have a large, full time legal staff and you're already a
multinational.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner