Re: 8.0 drivers released.

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0 drivers released.
Date: 2005-01-18 10:51:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Monday 17 January 2005 13:48, Kris Jurka wrote:
> With the 8.0 server release coming later this week, I've put up a new set
> of JDBC drivers. I haven't had time to write up a full set of release
> notes, so this email will have to suffice for now...
>
> Naturally there are a huge number of minor improvements and fixes,
> but these are the big things in 8.0:
>
> - True V3 protocol support.
> - Savepoints.
> - No more "idle in transaction" problems.
> - Binary data doesn't use fifty times the necessary memory.
> - SSL connection customization
> - driver configuration via properties file
> - 5.0 JDK compiles
>
> Major compatibility issues that come to mind immediately.
>
> The driver now always uses some form of server prepared statement. This
> means that all data is now strongly typed instead of mashed together into
> a query string for the server to figure out. If you have an application
> that uses setString(x, myString) for every type, you are not going to be
> happy. The driver needs to know what the real column type is in the
> database and it infers this from the setXXX call you make. This presents
> some tricky problems when dealing with postgresql datatypes that do not
> match up exactly with Java datatypes that are only solved by using a
> custom PGobject subclass to pass both the data and the correct type to the
> driver. This also extends to null values, no longer is setObject(x, null)
> valid because it does not contain type information for the driver to use.
>
> Previously Statement.executeQuery("INSERT ... ; SELECT currval('myseq')");
> would return a ResultSet. This is no longer true and I don't believe it
> was ever strictly legal. This should be correctly written in separate
> queries or:
>
> Statement.execute("INSERT ...; SELECT currval('myseq')");
> Statement.getMoreResults();
> ResultSet rs = Statement.getResultSet();
>
> Calling PreparedStatement.setBinaryStream now requires a correct length
> argument. Previously Integer.MAX_VALUE or similar could be used and it
> would read the stream to completion, but with the ability to stream data
> directly to the server and not use up outrageous amounts of memory means
> that we need to know the correct length from the outset.
>
> Kris Jurka

Hi!
I tried using postgresql-8.0.309.jdbc2.jar (and jdbc3) and got the following
NullPointerException:
at org.postgresql.Driver.getDefaultProperties(Driver.java:84)
at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:167)
at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.open(JDBCRealm.java:599)

Any explaination?

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
Senior Software Developer / Manager