Re: ARC patent

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-01-17 21:09:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Davis wrote:

> > You want scarey --- forget the IBM patent. Find an Oracle or Microsoft
> > patent that is similar to something in our code. It will might not be
> > exact, but our ARC isn't exact either.
> >
> > Basically any organization that wants to produce patent-free code would
> > need one lawyer for every five programmers, and even then it isn't 100%.
> > The method I have heard to find infringement sounds pretty imprecise.
> >
> > The remedy for patent infringment I think is usually to stop using the
> > patented idea, rather than punitive damages, unlike copyright.
> >

> Is that for all kinds of patent infringement, or only the
> didn't-know-better kind? Right now I don't think we can claim
> "didn't-know-better".

Didn't know better has no status for patents. Copyright stuff is pretty
easy to avoid --- just don't copy stuff and you are OK, and most
companies are good at enforcing that part.

> Also, does "stop" mean stop distributing the patented process, or stop
> using all installations?

Not sure. The PostgreSQL development group doesn't have installations,
do we?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us