Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Date: 2005-01-17 18:53:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:08:42AM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Indeed. I'm a little bit dismayed by the general response from this
> list to the announcement by your company.

I'll second that.

> I'd like to say thanks to Pervasive for such a big vote of support for
> PostgreSQL which historically has struggled with recognition and
> credibility. The information on Pervasive's site could have been lifted

And second this, too. In my not terribly humble opinion, the
announcement is both extremely good news, and a clear case where the
BSD license helps everyone. Expanding the kinds of offerings there
are, including to commercial, enterprise-focussed stuff like
Pervasive is offering, is just the best news I've heard in some time;
and it can be done without the dancing through hoops of having two
licenses.

I may not take seriously the kinds of recommendations that come from
eweek, Gartner, Network World, and other such Big Names who Talk With
Plenty o' Authority. But I'm painfully aware that their views are
formed as much by the financial and PR profile behind a piece of
software as they are by the actual features and track record. If
that were the only reason to be happy about Pervasive's announcement,
I would be. But as it is, Pervasive also seems genuinely to want to
contribute. That's even better news. Three cheers, I say.

Oh, and I cracked up at the elephant roar.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner