Re: Cursor bug?

From: "Mike G(dot)" <mike(at)thegodshalls(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cursor bug?
Date: 2005-01-17 06:06:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:28:47PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:35:04PM -0600, Mike G. wrote:
> > thank you.
> >
> > I use the cursor because I really do an update against a different
> > table based on a value from the select in the original table. I am
> > eagerly awaiting 8.0 and the ability to issue an Update Table1 Set
> > Table1.col = Table2.col Using (Select y from Table2)
>
> What's this USING keyword you're referring to, I can't find it in the
> documentation anywhere, what does it do?

It doesn't look like it has been added to the documentation yet. The only reference I could find to it was in the todo list (create similiar ability for delete statement).

USING allows you to add join statements to your update statement and use the data in the columns of the joined tables as input into the table the update is performed against.

http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-as/asg1/250e/sqlug/@Generic_BookTextView/27741