Re: Bug Report

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: "Elvis E(dot) Henriquez A(dot)" <elvish(at)cantv(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug Report
Date: 2005-01-15 04:13:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:50:32PM -0400, Elvis E. Henriquez A. wrote:

Hi,

Please keep the copy to the list when replying.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Elvis>psql -h localhost -U postgres -f Update13.sql prueba
> could not find a "psql" to execute
> Password:
> could not find a "psql" to execute

Now that's weird. But I don't think it's a Postgres problem; maybe your
shell is playing some games on you. I don't know a lot about Hasefroch
command line utilities to help you more here.

> About the ODBC problem, I don't think it's an encoding problem.
> My database encoding is sql_ascii, which I'm being using since
> postgresql 7.3.2, and worked perfectly. If I use, for example, pgAdmin
> III or phpPgAdmin, data is perfectly displayed. But when I make a
> select statement through the ODBC driver, using for example Visual
> Basic 6 with ADO, the data seems to be damaged,

I think that's exactly the problem. With SQL_ASCII you should limit
yourself to (7 bit) ASCII characters, or be bitten by Postgres' recoding
capabilities. If you want to use non-ascii characters, you should
declare your database as LATIN1 or LATIN9, or if it's a Hasefroch server
maybe win125x, cp850, whatever. And your client_encoding should be set
to the correct value, so that if there is gonna be character conversion,
the results are what you expect.

"La primera ley de las demostraciones en vivo es: no trate de usar el sistema.
Escriba un guin que no toque nada para no causar daos." (Jakob Nielsen)