Re: Weird behavior in transaction handling (Possible bug ?) -- commit fails silently

From: "j(dot)random(dot)programmer" <javadesigner(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird behavior in transaction handling (Possible bug ?) -- commit fails silently
Date: 2005-01-14 17:16:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> an error. And I don't believe commit fails silently,
> it should give you
> an error.

Nope, no error. See the original post, there isn't any
error
in the postgresql logs either, and no error at the
JDBC layer.

> (notably Oracle). So I would expect you're coming
> from an oracle DB
> experience...

Nope. I've been using Postgresql for years now (after
having
used mysql/innodb and gotten rather tired of _that_).

:-]

> Please note that setting a savepoint in postgres is
> not nearly free, so
> be careful how often you do it.

After further testing, the standalone psql client also
shows
the same behavior so I guess this is a postgresql
database
thing, not driver specific.

Here's my humble suggestion. If technically possible,
have
the driver throw a SQLExeption when trying to commit()

and when the driver knows that commit() is going to
fail.

Maybe the driver can simple track if it's recieved any
kind
of error messages on a given connection. If so, then
when
commit() is called on that connection, the driver
should
throw a SQLException ?

Otherwise, you're asking for very esoteric bugs to say
you have
commit() succesfully yet fail silently. That's more
like a mysql
thing, *not* a postgresql thing right ?

Best regards,

--j