Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>, pgsql-benchmarks(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft
Date: 2005-01-14 01:04:45
Lists: pgsql-benchmarks

> > Oracle prohibits their licensees from publishing independent
> > benchmarks, and I think the same is true for SQL Server. So you
> > won't find anything unbiased.
>
> I know for a fact that my client will see this as an admission
> of weakness on the part of those two vendors (I assume you mean
> "Microsoft SQL Server" when you use the generic term "SQL Server,"
> despite the fact that PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc., are all SQL
> Servers as well).
>
> Do you happen to have links to their license agreements? I'd
> like to see this for myself, because if it is then I'm going to cry
> a song similar to "bloody murder" for many of my friends and
> colleagues once verified.
>
> Thanks, by the way. This will pretty much be the needed "nail
> in the coffin" as far as my client is concerned -- if those two
> organizations are that restrictive in their license agreements

Restrictive IN their license agreements? Hell, M$ and their buddies in
the BSA don't even want you to SEE the license till after you have
purchased the software! When Ed Foster, posing as a customer, tried
to get a pre-purchase copy of a license agreement he failed.
Microsoft's policy is that to see the license you must first purchase
the product: http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2005/1/11/1939/04481

See how your client feels about that.

Cheers,
Steve