Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com>
Cc: "PgSQL ADMIN" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Date: 2005-01-13 08:27:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

I wrote:
> The current recommendation, which is reflected in the installation
> instructions, is to install the software as root and to use the
> postgres user for the database files. The advice seen elsewhere in
> this thread to use the postgres user also for the software files is
> wrong.

Those who dismiss this advice as my own imagination may want to check
how other server packages are installed on their system.

What user does sshd run under? Who owns /usr/sbin/sshd?

What user does the MTA run under? Who owns the binaries?

What user does Apache run under? Who owns the binaries?

etc.

On my system, the answer is sshd/postfix/www-data on the one side and
root on the other. Therefore it is consistent to use postgres and root
for PostgreSQL. If your system uses a different distribution of users,
you may want to adjust the PostgreSQL installation accordingly. But
note that this voids your warranty because it is not covered by the
installation instructions. :)

--
Peter Eisentraut