Re: IBM releases 500 patents

From: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IBM releases 500 patents
Date: 2005-01-11 16:32:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On January 11, 2005 08:13 am, you wrote:
> Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> >IBM has just announced they are waving all rights and providing access to
> > 500 patents. In the list of 500 there are several that relate RDBMS and
> > query optimizations, it may be worth a look.
> >

> >http://www.ibm.com/news/us/en/2005/01/patents.html
>
> Except in the event of a lawsuit.

I've read the full patent release document
(http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/patents/pledgedpatents.pdf) and from what I
see there, IBM has made a commitment not to defend the patentents against
anybody who uses them in a supported OSS licensing scheme (those found on
opensourcelicence.org)

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.