Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?
Date: 2005-01-09 20:53:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to> writes:
> > Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca> wrote:
> >> MySQL: Not free for commercial use
> >> [If I'm mistaken about any of this, corrections are welcome.]
>
> > MySQL is GPL code and hence is free for commercial use if you abide
> > by the restrictions of the GPL. If you want to not have to abide by
> > these restrictions then you have to make a deal with MySQL to get the
> > code under an alternate license.
>
> I seem to recall some flaps about MySQL AB using an overly tight
> interpretation of the GPL and therefore telling people they needed
> commercial licenses in cases where independent observers thought not.
> Too lazy to look up the details at the moment, though.

Found it:

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/opensource-license.html

It is better than it used to be where it really pushed commercial
license for commercial use, but they still have:

Please note that MySQL AB can only give advice on which license is right
for you. The final judgment, of course can be made only by a court of
law. With that said, we recommend the commercial license to all
commercial and government organizations. This frees you from the broad
and strict requirements of the GPL license.

To anyone in doubt, we recommend the commercial license. It is never
wrong. Thanks to our cost-effective way of producing software, we are
able to sell our commercial licenses at prices well under the industry
average.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us