One byte integer support

From: Keith Hankin <keith105(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: One byte integer support
Date: 2005-01-06 18:17:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Is there any way to support one byte integers? I am
using JDBC and would like to use setByte() method to
populate values of a single-byte integer valued
column. I tried defining the column as character(1),
but I get the error message:

Exception in thread "main"
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: value too
long for type character(1)

I don't see how a byte is too long for character(1).
Is there any data type like MySQL's tinyint?