Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes?

From: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Crediting sponsors in release notes?
Date: 2011-05-14 18:47:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

All,

> > hidden), or as a page on the "actual" website. That gives it a much
> > stronger "confidence level" than just a page on a wiki, that anybody
> > can edit. (now, we know that we are fairly good at "policing" the
> > content on our wiki, but an outsider does not know that)

Did nobody read my suggestion that this should go in the Press Kit? That seems like the perfect location; it gives our sponsors exposure somewhere official, while not turning the release notes (or even other parts of the docs) into a fundraising billboard. The Press Kit is all about PR, and this is PR.

In fact, it makes sense to do it in 2 stages:

(1) assemble a wiki page, starting now, and
(2) when we complete the 9.1 Press Kit, copy the wiki page to a page of the press kit.

But, here's the important question: who is going to take responsibility for this? If we don't have a volunteer who is going to be in charge of making a sincere effort to list all feature sponsors, then any further discussion is pointless.

> Well, I imagine this could get pretty complex. For example, I assume
> Tom's commits would show Red Hat, and 2nd Quadrants show 2nd Quadrant,
> and there are some features that have multiple people associated with
> the feature.

Let's please not turn this into a white elephant[1]. We have enough elephants around as it is.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

([1] for non-English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant)