Re: database permissions:how to create read only user for db

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: lexx(at)gorodok(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database permissions:how to create read only user for db
Date: 2004-12-26 17:44:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 13:41:22 +0600,
lexx(at)gorodok(dot)net wrote:

> I see what you mean, but I want set access rights to database, not
> for database objects, I want to deny some users to create tables in
> database, but permit read values of existing tables.

There is a separate privilege for controlling creation of tables
(at least in recent versions - I am not sure about 7.1). By default
users will not have access to objects they didn't create (with a couple
of minor exceptions - see the documentation on GRANT).

> How to permit various access to tables I know, it's simlpy with `GRANT
> [..] ON TABLE ..', but I don't know how to deny creating new tables,
> and
> I think it's not possible with PostgreSQL, because as I can
> understand, GRANT don't support such ability for DATABASE.

It certainly is possible in recent versions.