Re: FW: Couple of minor tweaks

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Couple of minor tweaks
Date: 2004-12-22 20:13:11
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 14:31, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> >> It was decided not to include this since plperl is included with the
> >> main distribution.
> >
> > Is there a list of what comes with the main distribution? That would
> > probably resolve the issue.
>
> I agree, it would be a good idea if the download page mentioned what
> comes with the main distribution. Looking at the page, you might think
> there was not any plPerl available :-(
>
> If we handle it that way, then in the Application Programming Interfaces
> section we should say "The core distribution includes a C library (libpq)
> and an embedded C environment (ecpg)" (not sure that's the best way to
> describe ecpg). The Server-side Procedural Languages list should mention
> that plpgsql, pltcl, plperl, and plpython come with the core.

"The core of the PostgreSQL Object-Relational Database Management System,
available in several source and binary formats. The full package will
include the core server with full documentation (html,man), several command
line tools (psql, pg_dump, pg_restore, etc...), a C library (libpq), and
embeded C processor (ecpg), several server-side procedural languages
(plpgsql,pltcl,plperl,etc...), and several popular add-on packages as well
(metaphone, tsearch2, pgcrypto, etc...). You can download the software from
one of our many mirror sites."

acceptable?

> Also it seems like there are several more gborg/pgfoundry projects that
> belong in these lists --- certainly at least libpqxx for C++.

For the record we do have a link to both pgfoundry and gborg at the bottom of
the page, however I'm happy to add any projects people feel strongly about.

--
Robert Treat