Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re: Launch now???]

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re: Launch now???]
Date: 2004-12-22 03:18:39
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 21:58, Omar Kilani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dave Page wrote:
> > OK, I tweaked it a bit to include the description of PostgreSQL per
>
> "Merry Christmas from the Web Team
>
> After months of much debate and hard work, the PostgreSQL Web Team has
> decided it is time to send the new website out into the world as an
> early Christmas gift to all PostgreSQL users. We hope you like it!
>
> - Gift doesn't fit? Let us know....
>
> PostgreSQL is a highly-scalable, SQL compliant, Open Source
> object-relational database management system.
>
> - About PostgreSQL"
>
> This change has been reverted, pending proper discussion.
>
> - Offensive, culturally insensitive, religious text. ("Merry Christmas
> from the Web Team")

you're not really one of those people are you?

> - Content is self-expiring.

so? if nothing else it will be replaced with the 8.0 release announcement, and
if that is to far off it takes minutes to change the wording.

> - Bad writing, improper grammar and capitalization.

granted I liked my wording better, but the old writing is cold and stiff, a
moutfull to read, and way too formal for our needs.

> - Asking for negative comments *only* means that... you'll only get
> *negative* comments!

The advantage is that in case anything is broken people know right up front
where to send thier problems rather than possibly having them report on irc
or some odd mailing list that no one follows. Besides, I know I don't really
need any ego strokeing...

> - Too much text and abuse of design (Only one paragraph should ever be
> there. And only one line of links, separated by |.

Too much abuse of design?!? You do understand that you have no control of
what this web page looks like in my browser don't you?

> If you can't write a
> paragraph with an *integrated* explanation of what PostgreSQL is, then
> that's the wrong paragraph to be putting in that box.)

If this design breaks because someone posts two paragraphs without an
integrated description of what postgresql is, then quite frankly the design
blows. There is no need to force the mouthful of postgresql being in
osordbms into every announcement on the site. The tag line and a link for
more information can accomplish that goal.

> - No discussion of change on the list. Something that keeps being
> advocated, yet rarely happens, if at all.

Uh... I posted the sample to the list, Dave reviewed it and applied a change.
There were no objections at the time he did so. Do we have to take a vote on
*every* *single* *thing* that is going to be changed on the site? I
certainly have no desire to live with that kind of micro-management

> Perhaps it would be wise to think about and thoroughly discuss a change
> prior to committing it to CVS, especially if the intention is to go live
> with it.

Eat your own dog food; you reverted Dave's change without saying anything to
anyone on this list. If I were the type to get into pissing contests I'd do
the same right back to you.

--
Robert Treat