Re: Scheduler in Postgres

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Scheduler in Postgres
Date: 2004-12-21 21:17:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 03:42:22PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:

> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:

> > > Yes, it is.
> >
> > Depends on how you define 'OS'. Linux is nothing but a kernel afterall,
>
> That just means Linux isn't an OS all by itself. A kernel isn't very usable
> without, say, init, a shell, etc. A periodic job scheduler has traditionally
> been in that list of base elements of the OS.

Again, it depends on the distribution of linux. Gentoo, for example,
does not include cron as part of their base install. I suspect there's
other linux distro's that don't either. So, you can't assume that you
will have cron available on a linux box. Arguably this is also true of
all the unixes since you could remove cron, but I can't see why anyone
would do that. As I mentioned before, I'm not aware of any unix that
doesn't come with cron.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org