Re: which front - end tools will support in PostgreSQL

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: atanu ghosh <atanughosh(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: which front - end tools will support in PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-12-21 15:20:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

--- atanu ghosh <atanughosh(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> Sir/Madam,
> I am working at IIT Kharagpur in India. I am working
> as a poject leader.
> I am delighted to see PostgreSql. We want to
> immediately migarte to Postgress under Sun/Unix
> platform. We are at present working on Oracle with
> Developer 2000(D2K) on Sun platform.
>
> May we seek your help to let us know if there is any
> Front-end Tools like Forms and Report Writer
> (Developer 2000) to enable us to handle Postgress
> effectively.

I believe that most people tend to create custom
interfaces, using the facilities provided by languages
such as Java, PHP, C++. PostgreSQL has a functional
ODBC driver, and the npgsql .NET driver has been out
for a while as well. MS Access is very widely used,
and would do very well for what you want, but cost is
an issue. Other commercial products that are talked
about include Rekall and PSQL4RB (I haven't used
those). Try this link for some more relevant
information:

http://scripts.postgresql.org/users-lounge/interfaces.html