Re: [WIP] The shared dependency patch

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: [WIP] The shared dependency patch
Date: 2004-12-17 17:48:19
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:46:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> IIRC, Rod Taylor did some work on supporting locks for non-table objects
> back around the beginning of the year. We rejected the patch for various
> reasons but you might be able to adopt some of it.

At the beggining of the past year, you mean? I found this:

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 15 Feb 2003 19:50:46 -0500
Subject: Object (Domain) locking

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-02/msg00093.php

In the archives, I see Bruce's message telling that it was applied, then
it was backed out for untold reasons, and nothing else happenned.

Does anyone remember why the patch was backed out? A pointer to the
archives would be most helpful.

> Or you could do something like the pg_xactlock hack. Basically you need
> a convention that identifies a LOCKTAG value as locking a particular
> user, such that it can't exactly equal any lock on a regular relation.

Hmm. The problem is that I need to lock users, groups and tablespaces,
so a single value won't do. I could create three special values
(pg_userlock, pg_grouplock, pg_tblspclock?), but at that point it
seems something more general is needed, like maybe Rod's patch.

"Cuando no hay humildad las personas se degradan" (A. Christie)