Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

From: andre farias <andrebf73(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: support pgadmin <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3
Date: 2004-12-14 22:53:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Raphaël.

i think you've got it!

all other gtk applications give me the same error
"GTK: cannot open display" when lauched at the
console tty1

echo $DISPLAY gives me nothing at tty1

i've opened the gnome terminal and there pgadmin3
gives me segmentation fault and the echo $DISPLAY
gives me :0.0

attached goes the strace result.

the version of my pgadmin III is 1.0.2.3.backpo from
ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian

thanks a lot for the help!!!

andré

--- Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
escreveu:
> andre farias a écrit :
>
> > hi there!
>
> Hi André,
>
> > i'm having problems in a debian box running gnome
> 2.2
>

> > i´ve installed pgadmin3 and when i try to execute
> it at the console
> > prompt ít gives me the following message "GTK
> cannot open display".
>

> Please, can you precise which pgAdmin III version
> you are running and if
> you are using a Debian package or a self build? If
> using a package can
> you precise the version of the package (dpkg -l
> pgadmin3 should suffice)?
>
> > if i try to execute it through the shortcut in the
> gnome desktop
> > nothing happens (the application doesn't appear
> and no message is shown).
> > if someone could help me it would be great.
>
> So, I'm gonna try ;)
>
> I suppose you did the "mandatory" checks ?
> Do other apps launch ok?
> what gives echo $DISPLAY?
> what if you launch a gnome-terminal from the
> terminal you just opened?
> can you provide a log file with the strace of the
> pgadmin3 launch?
> $ script pipo.log
> then
> $ strace -f pgadmin3
> ....<bla bla bla>
> $ exit
>
> Gzip the file and send it to us, that may help to
> figure out what's
> going on.
>
> Regards,
> Raphaël

> TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map
> settings

Yahoo! Mail - Agora com 250MB de espaço gratuito. Abra
uma conta agora! http://br.info.mail.yahoo.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
pagdmin3log.tgz application/x-compressed-tar 11.5 KB