Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll
Date: 2004-12-13 18:39:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Also, it wouldn't solve the problem. say you had 8.0.0rc1 installed and
> wanted to install 8.0.0beta4 as well because some testing would be
> needed. You'd break your 8.0.0rc1 installation... It's not as common,
> but it might happen. (It's still going to give you rpoblems if we do it
> right since your beta4 will run with the rc1 DLL file, but it's not that
> common to need to rollback the DLL file as it is to need to do it with
> the backend, I suppose)
>

> (This is all because we support multiple versions installed at the same
> time. MSI has functions to uninstall previous versions automatically,
> but we certainly don't want to force that)

We allow installs of various versions of PostgreSQL on Unix because each
install directory is self-contained. Are you saying the use of SYSTEM32
to store the DLL has broken that for Win32?

Logically I have no problem with having the libpq.rc file updated before
release but the way it works I am sure there is going to be major
breakage as people forget to do this. In fact it should be updated for
every new version of the installer or you might not get the new
libpq.dll, and that seems unmanagable.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us