Re: Improve BULK insertion

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, grupos(at)carvalhaes(dot)net
Subject: Re: Improve BULK insertion
Date: 2004-12-05 23:19:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rodrigo,

> 3. My transaction log configuration are : checkpoint_segments = 3  and
> checkpoint_timeout = 300 and my transaction logs are on the same disk .

Well, you need to move your transaction logs to another disk, and increase
them to a large number ... like 128, which is about 1GB (you'll need that
much disk space). Also, increase the checkpoint_timeout to minimize
checkpointing during the load; like, 1500.

> I know that I can increase the performance separating the transaction
> logs and making a RAID 5 array

Actually, RAID5, unless you're using > 5 disks, would make things slower.
Speeding writes up through RAID would require at least 6 drives, and probably
RAID 1+0.

> BUT I am really curious about WHY this
> performance is so poor and HOW can I try to improve on this actual
> machine because actualy this inserts are taking around 90 minutes!!!

Are you doing INSERTS and not COPY? If so, are you batching them in
transactions?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions