Re: reclaiming diskspace bloat w/near-zero downtime

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reclaiming diskspace bloat w/near-zero downtime
Date: 2004-12-04 20:55:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Saturday December 4 2004 1:01, Ed L. wrote:

> ...I have a
> shell game using rules that goes like this for bloated table foo:
> begin
> drop view foo
> alter table slim_foo rename to foo
> commit
>
> Some basic testing for my particulars suggests this works, but anyone see
> any issues with this?

I guess this is not safe in 7.3.4. :( Dropping the view within a transaction
causes the following error if a triggered function is concurrently
accessing that view:

WARNING: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function f
WARNING: line 16 at SQL statement
ERROR: RelationClearRelation: relation 7372083 deleted while still in use

Ed