Re: libpq: how to get error code (not message)

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: X X <junkmbox(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq: how to get error code (not message)
Date: 2004-12-03 01:41:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 03:59:46PM -0800, X X wrote:

> > I think you're looking for PQresultErrorField()
> > called with the
> > fieldcode argument set to PG_DIAG_SQLSTATE.
>
> Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I was
> looking for, but the libpq documentation does not
> mention it (at least I did not find).

Appendix A says:

All messages emitted by the PostgreSQL server are assigned
five-character error codes that follow the SQL standard's
conventions for "SQLSTATE" codes.

The PQresultErrorField() function is documented in the libpq
"Command Execution Functions" section:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/libpq-exec.html#AEN20619

The documentation says:

The following field codes are available:

PG_DIAG_SQLSTATE
The SQLSTATE code for the error (see Appendix A). Not localizable.
Always present.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/