Re: Postgres Design

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "Morris N(dot) Grajower" <morris(at)crosstab(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Design
Date: 2004-11-30 21:09:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:27:32PM -0500, Morris N. Grajower wrote:

> I have hundreds of different survey files in a customized database.
> I would like to convert them to postgres.
> My question is should I create one database for all the surveys or
> should I limit the number of surveys to a database.
> for example create a different database for each survey year, or by
> research company ?

Might you ever need to issue a query that joins multiple surveys?
If so then it would make sense to put them in the same database;
if you want to group some surveys together then you could use
schemas. Also think about whether you want to have separate tables
or schemas for individual years or research companies, or whether
you might be able to use a table with columns like "year" and
"research_company_id" (or maybe a combination of both approaches).
Without knowing more about your data it's hard to recommend a good
way to organize it.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/