Re: [GENERAL] Adding Reply-To: <listname> to Lists configuration ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Adding Reply-To: <listname> to Lists configuration ...
Date: 2004-11-29 07:06:29
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> What is the general opinion of this? I'd like to implement it, but
> not so much so that I'm going to beat my head against a brick wall on
> it ...

Please, please, please, please don't. The choice of the reply path lies
with the author or the replier, not with an intermediate party. Both
of the former two parties have adequate technical means to achieve
their preferred choice automatically [sender: Mail-Followup-To;
receiver: reply-to functions in the mail client]. Writing "please Cc
me, I'm not subscribed" is not one of them.

We have many people writing to the lists while not being subscribed.
Consider people writing to pgsql-bugs and not getting replies. I've
had that happen to me too many times in other forums.

Also, I *want* to be in the recipient list of replies to my posts, so
it's easier to find these posts.

We've done quite well with the current setup, so I don't see a need to
tinker with it. I've always found the Reply-to-enabled lists I'm on to
be a more lossy medium.

--
Peter Eisentraut