Re: Query on exception handling in PL/pgSQL

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Victor Ciurus <vikcious(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query on exception handling in PL/pgSQL
Date: 2004-11-27 16:27:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 11:37:34AM +0200, Victor Ciurus wrote:
> And how does exactly PG8.0 help us with this?

You can use BEGIN ... EXCEPTION ... END blocks. It doesn't help you
with COPY/IGNORE ON DUPLICATES though.

> Tom, coould you be so kind and tell me/us when will PG incorporate
> such a hugely claimed feature like "copy table_x from 'file_y.txt'
> (using delimiters) IGNORE ON DUPLICATES"?

I think the canonical answer is "when somebody implements it". _If_
she happens to convince the committers that it is a good idea to do
it her way.

If you desperately need that feature, you could code it yourself of
convince some hacker to do it for you (possibly paying but maybe not).

"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)