BUG #1330: Incorrect String Order By In tr_TR Locale

From: "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1330: Incorrect String Order By In tr_TR Locale
Date: 2004-11-26 16:25:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1330
Logged by: zgr ayc

Email address: ozgur(at)cayci(dot)org

PostgreSQL version: 8.0 Beta

Operating system: Debian Woody

Details:

I use 8.0 Beta-5.

I am using a PostgreSQL cluster which I have created with locale tr_TR. When
I use "Order By", the strings are not ordered correctly. The spaces are
ignored when I use "Order By" clause. Here is a sample SQL dump to re-create
this situation:

CREATE TABLE mytable (
mytext character varying(255)
);

INSERT INTO mytable VALUES ('Gngr, Ahmet');
INSERT INTO mytable VALUES ('Gngr, Bengi');
INSERT INTO mytable VALUES ('Gngrd, Ersin');
INSERT INTO mytable VALUES ('Gngren, Bora');
INSERT INTO mytable VALUES ('Gngr, Erhan');
INSERT INTO mytable VALUES ('Gngr, Erol');

When I try 'Select * FROM mytable ORDER BY mytext ASC'

I get the following output:

Gngr, Ahmet
Gngr, Bengi
Gngrd, Ersin