Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width
Date: 2004-11-22 17:58:19
Lists: pgsql-www

Josh, Robert, people:

> >Whether you "like" it is opinion (highly dependent on the proximity of
> > your browser settings to those of the designer in the fixed widht world).
> Ahh your second point is still very much an opinion. It doesn't
> matter how much you state it as a fact, it is still an opinion.

Can we kill this now? We're none of us so rich in free time that flames are
necessary.

From what I can tell, Fixed-width vs. Variable-width is a *tradeoff*, and you
gain and lose things either way. Let me sum up the pros for each:

Fixed-Width
-- Supports more polished designs
-- More "corporate"
-- supports better visual organization of navigation
-- better for websites with many images
-- cuts down on scrolling
-- emphasizes design

Variable-Width
-- Supports a greater variety of browser/language settings
-- More "open source"
-- better for large quantities of text content
-- emphasizes content

Do people agree with the above points?

--
Josh Berkus