Big number of schemas (3500) into a single database

From: "Constantin Teodorescu" <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Big number of schemas (3500) into a single database
Date: 2004-11-22 07:44:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hello to everybody again,

thought you didn't hear any news from me for a very long time, the news are
good :-)

I'm still here and promoting PostgreSQL.

I am involved in the developing of a big romanian project for the vets that
will put Linux & PostgreSQL on 3500 computers in the whole country, linked
together with dial-up connections that will keep track of the animal
movements.

The central database (also PostgreSLQ) will hold billions of records with
animal events (births, movements, slaughter and so on) and my question is:

If I will choose to keep a mirror of every workstation database in a
separate schema in the central database that mean that I will have 3500
different schemas.

Is there any limit or any barrier that could stop this kind of approach or
make things go slower?

Constantin Teodorescu

Ancient PgAccess developer

P.S. Please Cc: me at teo(at)flex(dot)ro