Re: Join between databases or (???)

To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Join between databases or (???)
Date: 2004-11-21 21:06:17
Lists: pgsql-general

See comments below..

>On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 12:27:11AM -0700, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>
>> I am having one problem I just can't figure out.... In my dump file I
>> have something like:
>> CREATE SEQUENCE testschema.industries_industry_id_seq
>> INCREMENT BY 1
>> NO MAXVALUE
>> NO MINVALUE
>> CACHE 1;
>> );
>
>The closing parenthesis is a syntax error. Did you cut and paste
>this or type it by hand?

Yeha, sorry, I cut and pasted but fumbled.. The ); is not there - the
sequence did get created correctly...

>> CREATE TABLE testschema.industries (
>> industry_id integer DEFAULT nextv
>> al('"testschema.industries_industry_id_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,
>> industry character varying(80) NOT NULL,
>> entered_dt timestamp with time zone,
>> updated_dt timestamp with time zone
>> );
>>
>> When I try to insert a value into schema.industries it complains about
>> testschema.industries_industry_id_seq not existing, yet I can execute
>> "nextval" against that very schema.... Any idea what might be going
>> wrong here?...
>
>I think you mean that you can execute nextval() against the sequence,
>not the schema. Anyway, it looks like whatever created the dump
>file incorrectly added double quotes around the sequence name in
>the nextval() expression. What created that dump?

pg_dump created it with the double quotes, I have been modifying the dump
to make it so appropriate things get created inside the schema, so I
added in the testschema. part of it in this example.

- Greg