Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width
Date: 2004-11-21 19:07:14
Lists: pgsql-www

Thats because most "professionally-trained" designers are idiots when it comes
to web design. They want to create artwork like on TV's and magazines
(because what they really want to be are graphic artists), and they don't
understand that the web is a different medium. Different users have
different monitor sizes, and the view text in different font-sizes, and they
will even view the new website in different languagues. Anyone who has study
web usability will understand that trying to force your viewpoint of a design
on someone else just leads to trouble.

Robert Treat

On Sunday 21 November 2004 10:30, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
> I'm not a layout person, but I will wager that any
> professionally-trained designer will tell you that variable-width
> layouts are asking for trouble. I designed a few templates that
> looked great, untl someone with a 1600x1200 or whatever monster LCD
> maximized the window - then that carefully crafted layout was blown to
> bits...
>
> My $0.02.
>
> -- Mitch
>
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:02:05 -0400 (AST), Marc G. Fournier
>
> <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > So, do people have reasons why one is better than the other?

Robert Treat