Re: CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE .. ON COMMIT DROP question

From: "Riccardo G(dot) Facchini" <abief_ag_-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE .. ON COMMIT DROP question
Date: 2004-11-19 15:54:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Tom Lane <__> wrote:

> "Riccardo G. Facchini" <abief_ag_-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > I'm trying to understand where the "[ ON COMMIT { PRESERVE ROWS |
> > DELETE ROWS | DROP } ]" is stored when defining a temporary table.
>
> I don't believe it's stored anyplace visible :-(. There's some
> private
> state in the memory of the backend that owns the table. Look into
> commands/tablecmds.c.
>
> regards, tom lane

[..]

Thanks, I'm reading the code at this right moment.

I'm wandering if this is consistent... I mean, a temporary table finds
its way to the pg_class as any other table, so I'm able to retrieve a
lot of things regarding that particular table. Even if a temporary
table is something that's assumed to be built by my own session, I may
want to know if what I store there is eventually destroyed.

this would mean extending the pg_class definition and generating the
associated code... not a big job, but something that may not be done
lightly.

I'm writing a set of utilities that run on pure plpgsql that provide
info about the objects contained in the database, and I started with
one of those things that are not provided by the pg_xxx functions, the
table. My code is capable of rendering the code of a temporary table,
but not capturing the info regarding the "ON COMMIT" part...

regards,

R.